Bright Daytime Fireball over Long Island, NY

- 14 Comments - In: , ,

Nearly 200 fireball reports from 9 states

The AMS has received nearly 200 reports so far about of a daytime fireball event seen above NY State on October 18th, 2017 around 03:00pm EDT (19:00 Universal Time). The fireball was seen primarily from New York and New Jersey but was also seen from Connecticut, Delaware, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Maryland and New Hampshire.

If you witnessed this event and/or if you have a video or a photo of this event, please
Submit an Official Fireball Report

If you want to learn more about Fireballs: read our Fireball FAQ.

Witness Location and first estimated ground trajectory – AMS Event #3837-2017

The event has been caught on tape and reported to the AMS by R. Wade from Radcakes.com:

The preliminary 3D trajectory computed based on all the reports submitted to the AMS shows that the Fireball was traveling from North East to South West and ended its flight somewhere above the Nantucket Canyon in the Atlantic Ocean.

First estimated 3D trajectory – AMS Event #3837-2017

Tags:

14 comments

• thomas r cox 1 month ago

I was fishing just north of sea bright public beach around 3:00 yesterday, and out of nowhere a bright pink object appeared in front of me, mic d in with the gulls. Didn’t look like it was in the atmosphere, looked to me like it was within a few hundred yards. Again did not appear to be far away. I have seen plenty of fireballs in my life. This object appeared to be metallic pink and was moving slowly and accelerated away from me heading south. It was almost as if it was sitting still for a moment. Then shot away from me with a bright green flash. Meteor? What ever you say. I say, NOPE.

Reply to thomas
    • angela wang 1 month ago

It’s probably just a atmospheric air combustion. The air traps light and the light reacts. Was it on a cold day or fairly warm.

Reply to angela
  • Douglas Clark 1 month ago

How do you figure it’s over Long Island this picture is in Sea Girt, New Jersey….

Reply to Douglas
  • JONI 1 month ago

It went over north of me in Preston CT. I could hear it before I saw it.

Reply to JONI
    • Marc 1 month ago

You couldn’t hear it first. Sound travels much slower than light!

Reply to Marc
      • Jim 1 month ago

Huh … He could have heard it first and looked later, as often happens with airplanes and lots of other moving objects.

Reply to Jim
  • Marc 1 month ago

I saw this from bedford nh while I was driving south!

Reply to Marc
    • Marie 1 month ago

I saw this driving from Manchester NH – it crossed directly in front of me, going west / north-west. Very quick, then it was gone. I was going South, just after the Airport exit. It looked very close, not up in the atmosphere.

Reply to Marie
  • Betty 1 month ago

Saw it in Staten Island! Most amazing thing I ever seen

Reply to Betty
  • Anton Szautner 1 month ago

Note: an error calls for correction. The fireball traveled from northwest to southeast, NOT “from North East to South West”.

Reply to Anton
  • Jason 1 month ago

Was it the chinese space station that is known to be out of control and soon to crash into our atmosphere ?

Reply to Jason
    • Tom 1 month ago

Too soon. Should be in a few months.

Reply to Tom
  • Ed 1 month ago

I saw in it Queens NY -it was low and left no trail . Also it was moving horizontally in a straight line

Reply to Ed