Fireball over Florida

- 11 Comments - In: , ,

image
AMS Event#4635-206 (video)

More than 150 reports

The AMS has received over 150 reports so far about of a fireball event over seen over Florida on November 21st, 2016 around 11:15pm EST (Nov. 22nd ~ 04:15 UT). The fireball was seen primarily from Florida but witnesses from Georgia and Alabama also reported the event.

If you witnessed this event please fill an official fireball report.
If you have a video or a photo of this event please contact us.
If you want to learn more about Fireballs: read our Fireball FAQ.

Below is a compilation of videos of the event caught on police dashcams (©North Port Police Department) and security cams.

Trajectory

Below are the maps of the witnesses location with the first estimated trajectory. The preliminary estimated trajectory plotted from the witness reports shows the meteor was traveling from the Southeast to the Northwest and ended its flight on the sea East of Anna Maria Island.

heatmap
AMS Event#4635-206 – First estimated trajectory and witness location (heatmap)
heatmap
AMS Event#4635-206 – First estimated trajectory and witness location

Tags:

11 comments

• Anne 2 weeks ago

We were driving south on 75 at that time, between Sumterville & Wildwood on the way to Tampa. All of a sudden not more than 20 feet in front of me, i saw a bright light….at 1st thought of fireworks, then saw the center which was as large as a watermelon & the glowing gas around it….I came to a dead halt, thought it was going to hit us….it landed on the side of the road near a lightpole…..no time to get the phone camera on. It was the most spectacular thing I have ever seen !!! We were exhausted from the long drive, but this woke us up. My son said Mom what if it had landed on the car ? Well we might not have been here to report it lol.

Reply to Anne
    • David 2 weeks ago

I’d have been tempted to wait for it to cool down and then grab it. Meteorites are worth an enormous amount of money to researchers and collectors. But that brings up a question. How long does it take for such a fireball to cool down?

Reply to David
      • Robert Lunsford 2 weeks ago

David, if any remnants made it to the ground they would be cool to the touch as they basically free fall through the cold lower portions of the atmosphere before reaching the ground.

Robert Lunsford
        American Meteor Society

Reply to Robert
  • Deborah L Creegan 2 weeks ago

Driving on I interstate 75 headed south it was five miles before the Sun City Ruskin exit sign.Both myself and brother saw it.. Unbelievable beautiful,,,I did immediately post to your site,although did not receive an email back. This was just awesome looked like you could just reach out and catch it,,it was that close

Reply to Deborah
  • Comfort Lining 2 weeks ago

I live in North East Florida and saw bright flashes, thought it was just shooting stars, but bigger. Very pretty night

Reply to Comfort
  • Becky 2 weeks ago

Our family was sitting outside around 8:00pm on November 23rd and two people spotted a meteor racing from east to west glowing red and blue with a fiery tail.

Reply to Becky
  • Bill 2 weeks ago

I was driving home and heading up the midpoint bridge in Cape Coral and seen what I thought was an unusually bright and close falling shooting star and just as I reached the top of the bridge the bright light exploded and instanteiusly lit up the sky in every direction as far as I could see. It was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. I feel like i was extremely lucky to have what I felt was the perfect vantage point to view this meteor. In my opinion it was headed straight down on SW Cape Coral. Our news channel reported it the next day as a meteor the size of a grape. I’ve heard other reports it was the size of a car. All I can say Is whatever it was it was big and if it had hit the ground it would have caused massive damage.

Reply to Bill
  • Trudy Metz 2 weeks ago

On Monday November 21 I was ready to go to bed when I saw this enormous fireball coming from the sky it seemed like it was hitting the water of Fort Myers beach Florida.
    Something that large I have never seen before.

Reply to Trudy
  • William Bryan 2 weeks ago

Approx 11:15pm i was walking the dog prior to going to bed in our neighborhood in DeBary. I saw s bright tear drop light coming from the southwest sky it fell slowly dropping from the sky not s typical shooting star. I did not see it hit the ground just a very bright light, which lit up the sky in that area. I did not hear any sound just saw the light

Reply to William
  • Kathy 2 weeks ago

I was it on my way home from work palm coast fl. It was a big fireball falling out of the sky to the west

Reply to Kathy
  • Jordyn 2 weeks ago

I live in Atlanta and have seen two falling fireballs this week. The first my boyfriend saw as well. We thought it was a shooting star, except they both fell straight down rather than streak across the sky..I was extremely freaked out when I saw the exact same thing tonight. What is going on up there? I found that a russian spaceship carrying food and supplies disappeared yesterday and fireballs are being seen all around the world. Super strange.

Reply to Jordyn